Open-Source Image Sites
- Creative Commons Search
Not a search engine itself, but a gateway to collections featuring media using CC licenses (including Flickr, Google, YouTube, Wikimedia, Europeana and more).
- Google Images
- …but, more specifically, the hard to find Google Advanced Image Search.
- Limit by usage rights at the very bottom of the screen.
- Depending on the reliability of the sources that you’re finding, you might consider adding terms like digital, collection or archive to your search to target institutions like universities and museums.
- Flickr Creative Commons
“Many Flickr users have chosen to offer their work under a Creative Commons license, and you can browse or search through content under each type of license.”
- Other paths to Flickr images
Other Sources for free, open, or public domain images
- Wikipedia: Public Domain Image Resources
A gigantic list, also subdivided into sources by subject.
- Wikimedia Commons
Public domain and freely-licensed media content.
- Flickr Commons
Usable digital images from the collections of a growing number of institutions. A great source for government-produced images.
- Library of Congress: Prints and Photographs Online Catalog
“The collections of the Prints & Photographs Division include photographs, fine and popular prints and drawings, posters, and architectural and engineering drawings. While international in scope, the collections are particularly rich in materials produced in, or documenting the history of, the United States and the lives, interests and achievements of the American people.”